On Saturday, 02/09/2019 from 1:00pm – 3:00pm at ALEX AND ANI® Rochester, 15% of the total proceeds from this time will be donated to Genesee Dietetic Association. We would love for you to visit ALEX AND ANI Rochester during this time, but if you are busy or out of the area, you could give your order and payment to someone who is able to come in during the event. If you would like to browse what is available, you can visit www.alexandani.com. Please see the below paragraph for exclusions.
Promotional items, discounted items, gift cards, CHARITY BY DESIGN®, Affinity licensed products, and items from the LIBERTY COPPER® Collection will not be included in the total sales of the event. However, there are still plenty of pieces to choose from! While you are browsing online, please keep in mind that some collections that are still online have been discontinued and are no longer available in stores. Please feel free to call the store at 585-730-8124 if you are wondering if what you have selected will count toward our event- we will be more than happy to let you know if what you have chosen will count toward the event and if we still have it in stock!
The Wegmans School of Health & Nutrition at RIT is excited to offer a new course, Global Health & Nutrition Perspectives this coming spring, 2019 at both the graduate and undergraduate level.
On May 9th members from the Genesee Dietetic Association traveled to our states capital in Albany, NY to lobby for licensure for our profession. Overall the trip was a huge success! The group had 13 total meetings, and most of them where with staff members because the Assembly/Senate was in session from 10-2pm on the day of the visit. The good news: Senator Helming’s office already emailed me responded saying she’d vote yes if the bill comes up and Senator Robach was very supportive of the bill (he had so many good questions our meeting went over).
Thank you Abbey, Hannah, Patty and Maureen for taking the trip to Albany to move our profession forward!
GDA member Abbey Copenhaver with Senator Errigo
GDA Members: Patty Askloff, Maureen Doyle, and Abbey Copenhaver with Senator Robach
Sponsored by the American Dairy Association North East
When: Thursday, May 3, 2018, 5:30-8:00PM
Where: Casa Larga Winery (2287 Turk Hill Rd, Fairport, NY 14450)
Who: Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN
Presentation and Cooking Demonstration: “Meal Prepping: Time-Saving Techniques for Simple, Delicious and Well-Balanced Meals and Snacks”
Join us for a wine pairing dinner while Toby Amidor presents on “”Meal Prepping: Time-Saving Techniques for Simple, Delicious and Well-Balanced Meals and Snacks”. Live cooking demonstration will be done on Toby’s favorite easy prep meals from her Book “The Healthy Meal Prep Cookbook”.
Cost: $25 for Members, $35 for Non-Members (Wine & Dinner Provided
What is Foodlink?:
- Foodlink is Rochester’s regional food bank serving a total of 10 counties. Foodlink goes way beyond traditional food banking, however! Foodlink operates a mobile farmers market called Curbside Market, has a team of 9 full time Nutrition Educators, and even runs an urban farm. Foodlink is dedicated to finding creative ways to address the root causes of food insecurity in Rochester and beyond.
What is Cooking Matters?:
- Cooking Matters is a hands on nutrition, cooking, and food budgeting program through Share Our Strengths. There are courses for kids, teens, adults, and families! Each course lasts for 6 weeks and has a 2-hour long weekly class where participants learn about basic nutrition and cooking skills through fun activities and delicious recipes!
What do Cooking Matters volunteers do?:
- We need volunteers to serve in one of three roles: Nutrition Educator, Chef Educator, and General Assistant. Volunteers do not need to have formal training in culinary arts, for example, to serve as the Chef Educator (though it is welcomed)!
- We ask that volunteers come to each of the 6 classes and arrive 30 minutes before class to set up and stay 30 minutes after class to clean. Volunteers are also asked to attend a “zero class meeting” that is held the week before the first class.
- We also need volunteers for special events! We also do several single day programs including in-store nutrition education events at major grocery stores.
- For more information on Cooking Matters volunteers, please visit: https://cookingmatters.org/volunteer
How do I become a Cooking Matters volunteer?:
- Please complete this form http://foodlinkny.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Cooking-Matters-Volunteer-Application-Form2018.pdf and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All volunteers must attend a 2 hour long training at Foodlink. Once you submit an application, you will be invited to our next training!
o **You are not obligated to sign up for a class right away if you come to the training! **
- Once you’ve completed a Volunteer Application form and attended a training, you will receive updates about all courses and special events that we are holding and will be free to sign up for as many as you’d like!
Feel free to contact Margaret Liljedahl, Nutrition Education Manager, with any questions at 585-413-4051 email@example.com
The RIT Research Spotlights: Health & Life Sciences Committee would like to invite you to the third annual Research Spotlight: Health and Life Sciences event at Rochester Institute of Technology on April 4th, 2018 at 6 PM in the B. Thomas Golisano Hall, Room 1400. This is an event that celebrates graduate and undergraduate students in their endeavors to understand and improve health and life sciences. Each student will demonstrate their work and conclusions via five-minute consecutive visual presentations.
If you are interested in joining us at this event, please follow this link and RSVP by March 28th.
March 14th – RD Day Celebration
In 2018, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics celebrates Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day on Wednesday, March 14.
The Genesee Dietetic Association is proud to be providing a free RD Day Celebration on Wednesday March 14th to celebrate all of our members and hard working registered dietitian nutritionist in and around the Rochester Area.
We will be celebrating on Wednesday March 14th from 5:30-7:30pm at The Strathallan in Rochester. The address is 550 East Ave, Rochester, NY 14607.
Refreshments will be provided and a cash bar will be available. We will also be offing raffle basket prizes as a fundraising opportunity for our membership.
Grab a friend and please stop by to celebrate with your colleagues! And a special thanks to Abbott for sponsoring this event!
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING – SPRING QUARTER
MARCH 1 @ 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM
Our upcoming Spring Quarterly Meeting will be held on Thursday March 1st at 5:30pm.
The meeting will be held at the Board Room at St. Ann’s – 1500 Portland Ave, Rochester, NY 14621
Everyone is encouraged to attend. We will be discussing all of our upcoming events as well as planning for our turnover meeting in May.
If you are on the Board of Directors, please come prepared with a position report.
March 29th – Beef Supermarket Tour
We are very excited to be partnering with the NYS Beef Council to present you with the following opportunity.
Date: March 29 Thursday, 5:30pm – 7 pm
Location: TOPS supermarket at Perinton Square Address: 6720 Pittsford Palmyra Rd, Fairport, NY 14450
Providing Consumer Guidance in the Supermarket Beef Case – From Confusion to Confidence!
Your clients want to eat more vegetables and love beef. Some are short on cooking time and others are on a food budget. Do you know what beef cuts to recommend to meet their needs?
Join Cindy Chan Phillips, RD for the brand new Consumer Guidance Training tour at the TOPS supermarket. Learn the basic in beef cuts, what to look for to eat lean and the seasonal vegetables to pair with the cuts, at the fun interactive training tour. Learn what’s new with beef nutrition. Dinner is included.
Every attendee will receive delicious recipes and a free grocery bag of fresh lean beef and veggies to try out the nutritious recipes at home! Approved for 1.5 CPEU.
Price for attendance TBD.
RSVP for this event below.
March 8th – Continuing Education Event
We are pleased to announce that we have a special, free continuing education event planned for Thursday March 8th at 5:30pm.
This continuing education event is made possible by the Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine Dietetic Practice Group. A DIFM member will be joining us to present the webinar: Malnourished Minds: A Functional Medicine Approach to Cognition, Memory, and Mood. (Approved for 1 CEU).
The meeting will be held at RIT in the Clinical Health Sciences Center.
Directions: You’ll want to park in lot T. There are two staircases, you’ll want to enter the building through the stairs on the right. Click here for a map with the building circled in red.
Room 1630 has been reserved for the webinar. When you enter the Clinical Health Sciences Center, walk through the atrium and up the large staircase in front of you. Turn left at the top of the stairs and the room is immediately on your left.
RSVP for the event using the form below.