What is Foodlink?:
- Foodlink is Rochester’s regional food bank serving a total of 10 counties. Foodlink goes way beyond traditional food banking, however! Foodlink operates a mobile farmers market called Curbside Market, has a team of 9 full time Nutrition Educators, and even runs an urban farm. Foodlink is dedicated to finding creative ways to address the root causes of food insecurity in Rochester and beyond.
What is Cooking Matters?:
- Cooking Matters is a hands on nutrition, cooking, and food budgeting program through Share Our Strengths. There are courses for kids, teens, adults, and families! Each course lasts for 6 weeks and has a 2-hour long weekly class where participants learn about basic nutrition and cooking skills through fun activities and delicious recipes!
What do Cooking Matters volunteers do?:
- We need volunteers to serve in one of three roles: Nutrition Educator, Chef Educator, and General Assistant. Volunteers do not need to have formal training in culinary arts, for example, to serve as the Chef Educator (though it is welcomed)!
- We ask that volunteers come to each of the 6 classes and arrive 30 minutes before class to set up and stay 30 minutes after class to clean. Volunteers are also asked to attend a “zero class meeting” that is held the week before the first class.
- We also need volunteers for special events! We also do several single day programs including in-store nutrition education events at major grocery stores.
- For more information on Cooking Matters volunteers, please visit: https://cookingmatters.org/volunteer
How do I become a Cooking Matters volunteer?:
- Please complete this form http://foodlinkny.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Cooking-Matters-Volunteer-Application-Form2018.pdf and send it to email@example.com
- All volunteers must attend a 2 hour long training at Foodlink. Once you submit an application, you will be invited to our next training!
o **You are not obligated to sign up for a class right away if you come to the training! **
- Once you’ve completed a Volunteer Application form and attended a training, you will receive updates about all courses and special events that we are holding and will be free to sign up for as many as you’d like!
Feel free to contact Margaret Liljedahl, Nutrition Education Manager, with any questions at 585-413-4051 firstname.lastname@example.org