GDA in the news and around town
*GDA Members braved the Rochester wind storm on Wednesday, March 8, 2017 for the annual RD Day Happy Hour Celebration. The gathering took place at Geva Theater’s new Lipson Lounge.
*GDA’s President-Elect and Public Relations Chair, Emily Kyle, MS, RDN was featured in the Democrat & Chronicle’s “Woman to Watch” on Monday,December 19, 2016. Check out the article here: Emily Kyle – Woman to Watch.
* On Saturday, November 12 from 12 – 3 pm, GDA’s first Alex and Ani Fundraiser took place where 15% of all proceeds were donated to support the Genesee Dietetic Association. Fundraising Chair Liz Carnes, hosted the event. GDA Board Members who also volunteered at the event are pictured below from left to right: Kathy Ippolito, Krista Campbell, Audrey Perkins, and Marian Coon.
*The First Annual GDA Member Happy Hour was hosted at The Strathallan on Wednesday, September 14 from 6 – 9 pm where networking, refreshments, and appetizers were enjoyed by all while overlooking the city of Rochester from the rooftop.
* GDA members were at the Rochester Public Market on Saturday, March 26 from 10am-12pm providing samples of vegetarian chili and promoting good nutrition to market-goers:
left to right: Heather Fiore, Emily Cope, Kim Wilber, and Sidney Huang
Theresa Harte and Emily Cope
* GDA Board members were on Good Day Rochester on March 9, 2016 to promote National Nutrition Month. Present were Public Relations, Chair Emily Cope, MS, RDN, CDN, Treasurer, Hannah Smith, RDN, CDN, and co-President, Kimberly Wilber, MS, RD, CDN. Click the pic to see video:
* Rochester Mayor, Lovely Warren has proclaimed March 2016 National Nutrition Month! GDA’s Public Relations Chair, Emily Cope, MS, RDN, worked with the mayor to get the proclamation. Thank you Emily and Mayor Warren!
* Check out GDA’s Public Policy Coordinator in a recent episode of Acres + Avenues. This video series pairs young farmers with young urbanites to demonstrate the suprisingly similar value they share despite the differences in their professions. Abbey is paired with Dana Chubb, a certified boxing champion.
* GDA Board members Abigail Copenhaver (Public Policy Coordinator), Hannah Smith (Treasurer), and Emily Cope (Public Relations) visited Albany 6/9/15 to advocate for licensure. They were able to meet with two senators during their visit, Senator Gustavo J. Rivera and Senator Catharine Young. Thank you for promoting the RD profession!
* GDA’s first Fitness Fundraiser is a success!
We raised funds for the GDA Scholarship while several members got a workout at Highland Hall on April 20. After all the positive feedback, we are hoping to have more of these kinds of events.
* GDA reaches out for National Nutrition Month!
GDA celebrated National Nutrition Month at the Rochester Public Market on Saturday, March 7th. Hannah Smith, Mary Beth Tyndall, and Krista Campbell helped the public “Bite Into a Healthy Lifestyle” by providing samples of vegetable-loaded chili. They also provided education on ways to become more active during the month of March, tips on which fruits and vegetables are best during the winter season, and how to store the fruits and veggies they buy at the market. This was a successful event, the table was constantly busy, and the chili was gone by the end of the event!.
* NYSDA is now NYSAND! The New York State Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics not only has a new name, but also a brand new website as of early February 2015. Check it out!
* GDA coPresident-Elect, Heather Fiore, was interviewed on WXXI’s Morning Edition on the topic of New Year’s Resolutions on Tuesday, December 30.
* On Monday, October 6, Heather Fiore was part of a panel discussion on healthy alternatives to Halloween on WXXI’s Connections with Evan Dawson.
* GDA’s Newsletter Editor, Theresa Moutafis, is featured in the September/October Edition of Food & Nutrition Magazine. She discusses breastfeeding practices in a sidebar “Making the Cultural Connection” to the “Besting Breastfeeding Bullies” article on page 16. Well done, Theresa!
* Debbi Beauvais was quoted in the September 2014 School Nutrition Magazine on how to conduct media interviews. Her advice to school foodservice directors: “The biggest thing to remember is whether the camera is rolling or not, the minute you greet the media team coming to your school is the moment the story begins”. The same is true for print/web stories as well. “Everything you say or do while they are there is ‘on the record’. The interview is not over until they are out the door and in the car.”
Debbi is an official spokesperson for both SNA and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
* GDA member Lisa Fischer was interviewed for an excellent piece on the book The Every-Other-Day Diet for University of Rochester Medical Center’s Health Matters blog. Check it out! Great info, Lisa!
* Congratulations to our very own Sue Grace for her NYS Dietetic Association Award as Distinguished Dietitian!
(Pictured at right with 2013-2014 GDA President, Elissa Strassman)
* GDA Public Policy Coordinator Abigail Copenhaver, along with Hannah Smith and Renee Laese Ortolani, visited Albany June 10th to Lobby for Licensure! The last of the NYSDA districts to visit before the end of session!
* GDA member and AND Spokesperson Debbi Beauvais, RDN, SNS is featured in the June issue of Today’s Dietitian, on the second page of a 3-page article “Nourishing Kids in the Summer” on page 26. Check it out!
* GDA member Hannah Smith was quoted in the June issue of Rochester Magazine (available to Democrat & Chronicle subscribers) in an article entitled “Sabotaged by diet soda”. Great job, Hannah!
* Check out GDA member Lisa Fischer, RD, CDN talking about “Going Gluten-Free” on WXXI’s Connections with Evan Dawson.
Nicely done, Lisa!
* Congrats to GDA member Julianne Huse for 50 years with the Academy!
* GDA’s Debbi Beauvais has been appointed to another 3-year term as a Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Debbi says: “So proud to represent NYSDA and GDA in this role.” We are so proud of you, Debbi!
* GDA National Nutrition Month Event
On Saturday March 22nd the Genesee Dietetic Association was at the Union St Public Market from 10AM-1PM providing educational information on Healthy Eating and an opportunity to sample a recipe made with locally grown produce. Our volunteers and display were in the Market Office. Thanks to Susan Figaro Grace, MS Ed, RD, CWC, GDA Public Relations Chair
* GDA member Laura Sugarwala published an article in the March-April issue of AND’s Food & Nutrition Magazine, “Freshwater Fare“. Way to go Laura!
* GDA’s National RD Day event was a success! View photos from the event here.
* 3 GDA members were highlighted in “In Good Health” from February 2014: Lisa Fischer and Danielle Bonsignore are on page 7 “Raw Food: Health Danger or Savior?” Caitlin Sexton is on page 16 “Heart-Healthful Foods”
* GDA’s Debbi Beauvais is featured in a Press Release from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: “Get the Most Nutrition from Your Calories and ‘Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right’ during National Nutrition Month(R) and Beyond”
Debbi was quoted in the School Nutrition Magazine January 2014 Edition on the increased use of technology in the workplace. In the article “Meet My New TBF! (Tech Best Friend)” by Patricia L. Fitzgerald, Debbi is quoted as saying “I manage three different school districts, and it is seamless. I can handle issues from every site” referring to the advance in technology in her school locations. In the past she and her staff used to have to make phone calls for late deliveries or they had rosters to check off student names. Technology has streamlined work processes for both her and her staff.
* Debbi Beauvais was elected to the School Nutrition Association Board and is the Northeast Regional Director for SNA! Congrats to Debbi!